Hello guys!! We just got back from vacation and it's been a couple weeks since I shared any stories on my blog. It was so nice to get away for a while with no access to the internet and be able to recharge with the family. The kids had such fun and we were able to enjoy each moment and make new memories together. I will share some tips on one of our vacation getaways in the next couple weeks once I download all the pictures from my camera to my laptop. For today, I wanted to share five things I didn't expect becoming a mother!
5 Things I Have Learned Being a Mom
1. Patience. Before kids, I remember having little patience for a lot of things. It is amazing how patience can be taught through experience and, unsurprisingly having more kids! With being a mom, I have learned to have better control of my emotions so I can have a healthy and positive relationship with my children. I think the power of patience coupled with love gives one the ability to pay attention to your kids because at the end of the day, we want them to know we value their interests and concerns.
2. I never thought that we would wind up with my kids loving all things super hero! Believe it or not, legos and the cliche super hero pj's or underwear would become part of my kids wardrobe. For some reason, I always end up playing the bad guy on a whim but wouldn't have it any other way. I also love their creativity with legos. Sometimes those pieces seem like they are almost everywhere in the house but it just gives me this big smile to see what they come up with.
3. The times I said to my family and close friends that I will never do this or that when I am a parent. Fast forward to having my first child and everything I said I would never do went right out the window. Let's start with me making my own baby food despite working full-time and being fatigued most of the time to dealing with the occasional meltdown at the store because they didn't get what they wanted or a bout of crankiness at a restaurant because they are tired. For all the moms who experience similar moments, we've all been there and you are not alone!
4. Selflessness. Full honesty guys but motherhood is the hardest job in the world! It is all sacrifice to the one person you may be the world to; that is your kids. I remember when I was growing up I would thank my mom for everything she did for me and especially for being selfless. Now as a parent, I love this act of being selfless with my kids. My kids are truly my inspiration!
5. Always being in love and emotional. Holding them longer or tearing up looking back through old pics or videos and realizing how quickly they are growing. I have noticed myself holding them just a little longer each night before bed and treasuring every waking hour with them. I believe that being a parent and a mom is not about what you gave up to have a child, but what you've gained from having one.
What about you guys? Any cool surprises you've come across as a parent? You can leave in the comment section below.